Friday, October 9, 2009
Alex Rodriguez hit a game-tying homer in the ninth, and two innings later, Mark Teixeira ended Game 2 with a solo homer to left field for a 4-3 Yankees win on Friday.
What an emotional roller coaster of a game. So many highs and lows by the offense and the pitching.
1) A.J. Burnett pitching around five BBs and two HBPs to allow just one run over six innings. While this was going on, the Yankees were getting no-hit by Nick Blackburn for the first four innings.
2) Phil Hughes and Mo allowing the Twins to take a two-run lead in the top of the 8th.
3) Alex Rodriguez coming up as the tying run in the bottom of the ninth against one of the best closers in baseball in about as important a spot he could have come up in and hitting a moon shout out to CF to tie the game. There is no way any of the people who hate Rodriguez can spin this as anything but supremely clutch.
4) Alfredo Aceves getting out of a first and third jam in the top of the 10th.
5) Brett Gardner’s baserunning in the bottom of the 10th had both highs (stealing second, advancing to third on bad pickoff) and lows (getting doubled off third on a Damon humpback liner).
6) Damaso Marte giving up two hits to one batter (Joe Mauer).
7) David Robertson allowing a single to load the bases in the top of the 11th, then pitching out of a bases-loaded no out jam with the help of Mark Teixeira’s glove.
8) Teix going boom for 2009 Yankee walkoff # 16.
The Yankees could still lose this series, but it’s a long shot at this point.
Page 1 of 1 pages: